Alison finally met her idol: Yonce, Queen Bey, B, Beyonce, Bey Bey. Oh yeah and I met her husband, Hov, too. Nbd but kbd I think we’re besties now. If besties can be formed a mere couple hundred feet away from … Continue reading
As the work week comes to a close, I find myself
struggling needing a little bit of an extra oomph to get the day going. Therefore I’m going to rattle off my favorite work related jams. These are all songs about work and can really help ya get through a day in the cube farm. Commence the Cubelandia Survival Playlist.
PS: If any of you are on Spotify, go follow this playlist! I took all the tedious work of Googling the songs for ya!
1. “Diva” Beyonce
If you thought this list wouldn’t include Beyonce, you’ve clearly learned nothing about me from this blog. If you didn’t think I’d start a playlist with anyone BESIDES Queen Bey, you’ve clearly learned nothing about me from this blog. If this absolute FIRE jam doesn’t get you amped on a Monday morning, then I don’t know what will.
2. “Takin’ Care of Business” Bachman-Turner Overdrive
You’re amped up on some Beyonce and ready to KILL the day. Time to get focused and take care of business. Keeps the momentum going and focuses you on the end goal. Get after it cube monkey!
3. “9 to 5” Dolly Parton
Time to keep the momentum going. You’re only an hour deep into the day. Probably starting to feel the glare of the fluorescents on your back and your dewey morning eyes are starting to seer from the computer screen. As you frantically adjust brightness settings and attempt to create a lean-to with your jacket to block the flickering fluorescents, throw on a little Dolly to help you avoid complete cube meltdown. This steady beat with help you fall into a routine for the rest of the morning.
4. “Run The World (Girls)” Beyonce
I know, I know, “Come on Alison ANOTHER Beyonce?!?” Guys she really gets ya going. I promise. Guy, girl, or alien she’ll really get the blood flowing. By this point you’re jacket lean-to has fallen, your cube neighbor has probably started his drum solo, and the caffeine has dried up. You need a killer beat to get you back in the zone. Kill it Bey.
5. “Lets Work” Prince
Beyonce has got you AMPED. You’re ready to take Obama’s job at this point. Time to reel in that energy and power through the last hours before the sweet release of lunch. Listen to Prince, let him take your hand, and work. Get through it cube monkey, you’re almost half way there!
6. “Out Here Grindin” DJ Khaled
Hunger is setting in. You’re starting to wonder how cube monkeys before you have survived. You’re drooling on your keyboard. You’re counting the seconds before you sink your teeth into a microwave meal. Times are tough. Which calls for some grit. DJ Khaled will carry you through this endless abyss before lunch.
7. “She Works Hard For Her Money” Donna Summer
Your blood sugar has stabilized. The drool has been removed from your keyboard. You’ve had some interaction with humans face to face. A few funny YouTube videos have extracted a small chuckle from your office soul. Remember why you’re here while jammin’ to an 80’s classic. Donna Summer will kick off the second half of the day.
8. “Workin’ For A Livin'” Huey Lewis and The News
My dad is going to be overjoyed Huey Lewis and The News made the list. You’re feverishly fighting off the urge to nap at your desk after lunch. Trying to avoid staring at the tiny clock in the corner of your computer. This is your life. Embrace it. Let Huey be your mantra.
9. “Working for the Weekend” Loverboy
Time to remember what’s coming: the weekend. This is what you’re working for, to truly savor the 48 hours you have free a week. No one appreciates a weekend like a cube monkey. Would you value the weekend as much without your job? Nope. Thank your job for the pure ecstasy that is the weekend. Loverboy will provide you a friendly reminder of what’s coming.
10. “Hustlin” Rick Ross
Uhmm does this even need a description? You need a little pep in your step. It’s halfway through the afternoon. You’ve probably remembered that the sun is out and will be out when you’re done at work. The mind is starting to go for a little stroll down fantasy lane. REEL IT IN CUBE MONKEY. Embrace your inner teflon don. You are invincible. Hustle through the end of the day and finish strong! (Rick Ross Grunt)
11. “Work B*tch” Britney Spears
The day is almost over. You realize how much you need to do before your bolt to your car. Get to work. Britney will remind you of this incessantly until you get the message.
12. “Stoned” Puddle of Mudd
What’s a playlist without the Emo song? Not complete, that’s what it is! A mild panic may be creeping up about just how much you do compared to what you are rewarded with. Take a mini hate break. Let it all out with this song and let it all go with this song.
13. “It’s Not My Place (In the 9 To 5 Workplace)” Ramones
Freedom is near. You feel like a caged animal in a zoo in the 1920s when animal rights didn’t exist. Everything is funny. You make terrible puns and laugh so hard you cry. It’s like Anchorman with the glass case of emotion phone booth, except you’re in a partial office with temporary walls and no door. This isn’t you. When you sat in your college classes dreaming of changing the world, you didn’t expect to end up here. Remind yourself of that with this mini jam. It’s gonna be okay. Even Steve Jobs had to start somewhere.
14. “Bang On The Drum” Todd Rundgren
Iiiiiiiiiiii don’t wanna work, I just wanna bang on the drums all day! Enough said! You’re in the last hour of the day, you’re ready to go and be free. Get ready to fly free little cube elf, it’s almost time!
15. “Nothin But A Good Time” Poison
FREE AT LAST! You’ve entered the oasis that is your car. You are joining millions of others on the 5pm fight to the death commute home. It’s time to weave and bob you’re way home! Rock out with a little Poison. Find your inner human, shake your groove thang, and remind yourself that you can go #nofilter for the next 12 hours.
You all are so welcome for this playlist. If this doesn’t get your day going, I don’t know what will.
Today was the first time I have run without feeling like the world was caving in around me. I knew that today’s run may be more successful than previous runs for several reasons.
1. The Fat Tuesday 5K I ran on this past week went surprisingly well. It was roughly 17 degrees outside but that had little to no effect on my run time. It was the compression socks I wore that I think I hindered me the most. While easing into the running world, I wore knee length compression socks to soothe some killer shin splints. But now that I run more regularly, I think these are hindering me during runs more than helping. For example, my feet went completely numb during the 5k on Tuesday. I could’ve run the whole thing but I was worried I’d be doing permanent damage to circulation running on numb feet. Per the advice of a fellow runner / ironman, I am going to curb the compression socks to after my runs.
2. I’ve been focusing on turning my brain off when I run. For me, running is 105% mental. Besides shin splints in the beginning, it’s my mind that’s screaming at me during every step of a run. Now I either focus on the television in front of me or constantly repeat mantras to myself while I run. This sounds insane but it actually helps me quite a bit. I’ve gone from tapping out after a mile to refusing to even stop a continuous stretch of running until I hit at least 2 miles.
3. HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training. My trainer, Christina, from The Training Station introduced me to the concept of HIIT. The theory is if you start running by doing intervals it’ll help you increase the distance you can run. This has done WONDERS for me. I started 4 months ago doing HIIT. I would run at a high speed for 2 minutes and briskly walk for 2 minutes, alternating this pattern for about 30 – 40 minutes. Another great way to get your HIIT in is through Tabata workouts. This is a 4 minute variety of HIIT. Something I also started with Christina. It will seriously kick your a$$ no matter how in shape you are. When I find myself slipping out of distance runs, I’ll go back to HIIT to get myself back on track. Seriously folks if you want to start running for distance, start with HIIT.
4. Playlists. I usually listen to DJ mixes when I run. (3LAU, Dante, Kap Slap are the top 3 DJs I jam out to right now) They get me energized to at least hit the start button on the treadmill. However, I’ve found that they almost over energize me as of late. The faster the beat of the music, the faster I feel like I should be running and exert myself. I’ve tried to seriously pick music to run to that is upbeat but not so fast paced I feel like I should be sprinting. This has also helped me to work on keeping pace.
I only got involved with running because it has ALWAYS frustrated me that running is the one thing I can’t seem to master. Kickboxing, BodyPump, stairmaster, ladder drills, and just about anything besides running I can master easily. But running has always been a struggle for me.
Upon watching a documentary about Pete Frates, a young man suffering from ALS, I decided that I was being a loser and should appreciate the fact that I have the ability to teach myself how to run. If you have the time, I highly recommend clicking his name and watching his story. His outlook is inspiring. So much so that it has inspired me to hopefully run a half marathon in October to raise funds for ALS research.
It feels great to have finally broke through the running wall and I hope my runs only continue to get better!
I feel like every great blog has one day of the week where the post topic will always be the same, like WIAW: What I Ate Wednesday or Flashback Friday. In the interest of eliminating one day of the week where I have to scour the depths of my mind for some tidbit of hopefully entertaining content, I am dedicating Tuesday to be #TotesTuesday.
As many of my real life acquaintances know, I am a FIEND for
swagtastic cheesy shortened words. Cray = crazy, jel-jel = jealous, adorbs = adorable, perf = perfect, tevs = whatevs / whatever; the list could go on for quite a while. So from this point forward I declare every Tuesday on this blog to be #TotesTuesday. (totes standing for totally) Each Tuesday I will share a list of the things I’m currently perplexed / intrigued / obsessed with.
And here we go….
1. #Totes Obsessed with this Treadmill
Please ignore my pitiful pace – I was
dying “cooling down”
So this is a treadmill I knew my gym had for a while. But I have been hibernating in my apartment complex’s gym for the past few months in a valiant effort to learn how to run. Yesterday I decided to pull the trigger and go back to
the judgement zone Gold’s Gym. I just wasn’t motivated enough to get off my own ass and go to my apartment gym anymore. Anyways, I finally got to try this fancy new Life Fitness treadmill. You can select a variety of different screen views. There are trail runs, like the above photo, through a variety of real life trails. These trail runs even have educational fun facts to keep you occupado while you huff and puff and run the house down. You can pick the 5K lap view to track progress, play a game, sync it to your phone, or good ole’ fashioned television! Probably the best parts of this treadmill are that you can hide your current time / distance / calories AND count down backwards from your end distance goal. This is absolutely key for me because running is essentially one giant Inception head game for me.
2. #Totes Going to Buy This Tory Bag
The Tory Burch ‘Mini Ella’ Nylon Tote in Black is going to be my first not-from-china-town handbag purchase ever. I’m not gonna lie, it’s going to be odd not doing my usual haggling bit. The last time I acquired my Flouis Fuitton bag it was like partaking in a leg of the Amazing Race. I had to follow a team of 3 non English speaking, walkie talkie wearing, humans up 15 blocks of China Town sidewalk only to be confronted with a laminated take out menu of “couture” options. I selected #9 and another walkie talkie human magically appeared, from what I can only assume was an act of Floo powder, with my selection. Then I had to hassle the price down from $100 to $50 only to hand the “sales clerk” $60 and ask for change. It was an experience to say the least. So I can’t wait to own a REAL bag, especially this one that I’ve been drooling over for months.
BTW readers – Flouis Fuitton is a super exclusive couture line.
It’s what I called my fake “patent leather” black Louis Vuitton bowler bag. I cherished it for so long. Thank you Flouis bag for more than fulfilling your purse duty.
3. #Totes Drooling over this Peanut Butter
So a fellow co-worker who runs a blog called Running on Peanut Butter blogged about this beauty today: Child’s Play Peanut Butter. It’s made by a company called Pacific Beach Peanut Butter. They must be foodie angels sent from heaven to have created this masterpiece. Child’s Play Peanut Butter is peanut butter with chunks of M&Ms swirled in. Yes, that’s right, peanut butter with the M&Ms already in it! Not only does this save me SO MUCH TIME, because my two favs are chocolate and peanut butter, but I feel like I can #totes justify this as healthier than eating a bag of peanut butter M&Ms. Seriously contemplating ordering a jar of this
4. #Totes Jammin to “Bad Intentions”
If you don’t know who Niykee Heaton is I cannot talk to you. I was creeping Twitterland one night and saw some rando favorite her “Bad Intentions” tweet. Naturally I gave it a listen as I am a music fiend. It was INSTANT love. I have been listening to this song every car ride, gym sesh, and shower. (yes I play music while showering – sorry neighbors!) I also took a gander at her other songs on SoundCloud and she makes acoustic versions of rap songs. As if I didn’t want to BFFs with her enough already, she takes my alter ego, 2Chainz, and turns it into an absolute FIRE acoustic song. She also has an ADORABLE chunky puppy. I’m not usually into the acoustic sounding stuff but I am HOOKED on Niykee’s music right now. Her songs are all free to download so you should all #totes get on that action and download a few jams.
Well there’s the inaugural #TotesTuesday post. I promise that by next Tuesday this list will be insanely different because that’s just how I roll. Let me know some of your #TotesTuesday things!